2 MONTHS PRIOR TO MOVE:
- Schedule movers
- Reserve storage unit if needed.
- Work on getting children’s school transcripts/medical records.
1 MONTH PRIOR TO MOVE:
- Buy moving supplies, boxes, tape, sharpies, wrap
- Contact utilities to schedule disconnect from present address.
- Contact utilities to schedule service at new address.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVE:
- Start packing
- Label boxes—specify ROOMS that boxes will be going to
- Change of address to the following:
- Post Office
- Utilities: Electric, Gas, Propane, water/sewer, garbage
- Send out change of address cards
- Keep important financial records in one box—plan to transport yourself.
- Arrange for Post Office to hold mail until settled into new address
- Plan meals for the day.
- Plan lunch for movers and water.
- Coordinate plans for pets and children.
- Inform movers of special instructions and of all specialty care items that are fragile or previously damaged.
- Specify to movers when arrive to new location where you want specific pieces/boxes placed
- Have checks and money available for travel and/or unexpected costs
- Ensure final cleaning and dispose of any trash.
- Lock all windows and doors
- Make sure movers unwrap all furniture and check for any damages. Inform movers before they leave. Settle any deductions from mover’s bill before they leave.
- Pay and tip movers
- Unpack and organize
- Confirm new address with all utilities and services
- Change address on driver’s license
- Confirm new address with children’s school(s)
- Update medical providers and provide new address
- If moving to a different state, change driver’s license and vehicle registration.